Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Happy Birthday to...




ME! Here's a quick recap.  23 years old, "unemployed", working odd jobs and substitute teaching whenever I possibly can (like the rest of this week, and ALL of next!) But... Couldn't be happier.  I'm blessed with amazing friends and family, and adopted families galore, and I have no complaints.  I have everything that I need (not WANT, but people don't always need what they want) and love my life.

The only sad thing in life right now is the "pet" situation... Mr. IT and I have an 8 year old tabby cat.  He's the friendliest most loving cat in the world. To humans.  We recently tried to adopt a dog from our local shelter, Toby. 

Toby was FANTASTIC. Also, horse-sized  very large, roughly 95 pounds.  Sweetest most loving, cuddly, friendly lab ever.  But... he doesn't love cats as much as he loves people. And our cat didn't love him as much either... And so unfortunately, purely because we couldn't risk dear sweet Toby eating "playing" a bit too rough with the kitty,  we had to take him back to the shelter.  Absolutely broke my heart.  I just keep reminding myself that now he can go home with a family where he doesn't have to compete for attention with another animal, and doesn't have to live with a cat.  

This leads me to my point: Adopt from shelters! Most animals aren't in a shelter because there is anything wrong with them--in fact, most animals are in shelters for the exact same reason as Toby.  They just need something a little different, or their owners couldn't take as good of care of them as they needed.  Adopt! Adopt! Don't spend 500+ dollars on a designer pet, when there are animals that desperately need people.
Because just like Toby, there are plenty of other animals that need good homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment